Article <utd392$2e30d$1@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utd392$2e30d$1@i2pn2.org>

From: fir <fir@grunge.pl>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: filling area by color atack safety
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 23:23:48 +0100

Malcolm McLean wrote:
> On 16/03/2024 18:21, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> Malcolm McLean <malcolm.arthur.mclean@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Example given. A recursive algorithm which is hard to reason about and
>>
>> Perhaps hard for _you_ to reason about.  That doesn't
>> generalize to every other programmer that might read that
>> code.
>>

>  From experience this one blows the stack, but not always. Sometimes
> it's OK to use.
>
> Since you can reason about it so easily, you can tell the others when
> you're OK and when you are not, in a handy intuitive way so that someone
> thinking of implementing it will know.

  from "effective c" or maybe i call it "optimal" point of view
recursion as it is implementeded in c is wrong (it is sub-optimel)
so i agree with that statement - hovever a big dose of world today
programs in a non optimal way (for example whole that python ond other
programing ways is non optimal)..and thus te recursion may be found one way

...and i must say whan i way younger i was much more hardfixed to optimal
coding..today i almost no code at all and lost a interest (i mean
"being interested") in many things ..i also consider that
non optimal cases more interesting - and generallt this recursion would
be standable - especialy if for example windows has this "guard page"
some exception based mechanism that would allow to resize stack
up its default two megabytes (which is a bit small size as for today)
instead of crashing application

im not sure hovever if its done and if its posoble as i understand there
is exception when tryibgf to read write immediatelly after stack reserve
but not quite if someone just moves up stack pointer (like when
allocating stack space for array) but those machanisms could be handy