Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utdl0p$19mot$1@dont-email.me>

From: super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: NBC Historian Takes Media's "Bloodbath" Insanity To A Whole New Level
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2024 22:26:17 -0500

On 2024-03-20 02:46:53 +0000, BTR1701 said:

> super70s <super70s@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2024-03-20 00:01:05 +0000, BTR1701 said:

>>> Just check out the thread posted right here in RAT today entitled,
>>> "Civility Project Ends".

>>> Otherwise known as an "exempting black people from the traffic code
>>> everyone else has to obey" law.
>>
>> The law (or repealed law now) applies to everyone.
>>
>> If your state has this policy maybe you'll appreciate getting pulled
>> over in your beaten up 40-year-old pickup without a license plate light
>> because some cop makes the subjective judgement that you look
>> suspicious.
>
> If I'm driving around without a license plate light, then there's nothing
> subjective about it. I'm violating the law.
>>
>>> You do realize that's a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the
>>> 14th Amendment, right? Or do you just not care?
>>
>> It had nothing to do with the 14th Amendment because it applied to
>> everyone and all races.
>
> Ah, so it just repealed enforcement of the traffic code full stop because
> "muh racism!"?
>
>> But your apparent closet racism by assuming it applied to only Blacks
>> is interesting.
>
> If I assumed anything it's that the Tennessee law was a carbon copy of a
> recent California bill proposed by a black assemblyman from Compton, which
> specifically exempts only blacks from being stopped for most traffic
> infractions, including speeding for anything short of 25mph over the posted
> limit.
>
> This means if you have some lunatic blasting down a residential street at
> 50mph, the cops would just have to stand by and watch it happen if the
> driver is black.
>
> The bill would also render any evidence of other crimes discovered during a
> traffic stop inadmissible. So if the speeder in the above hypothetical was
> racing down the residential street at 60mph and could now be legally
> stopped by police, and they discovered a dead murder victim in his back
> seat, the body and any other evidence in the car would be inadmissible in
> court at his murder trial.
>
> Again, only for blacks.
>
> So yeah, when these ridiculous laws and policy efforts spring up all around
> the country at roughly the same time, they're usually carbon copies of each
> other sent direct from BLM headquarters.
>
> Mea culpa.

>>> By black cops. But go on with your "But muh racism!" nonsense.

>>> Obviously misdemeanors weren't working.
>>
>> Making street protests felonies isn't going to work either, if the
>> perceived transgression is egregious enough.
>>
>> It's a felony to enter the Capitol Building in an unauthorized manner
>
> No, it's a misdemeanor. 18 USC 1751, Restricted Buildings and Grounds. The
> same statute I used to lock up White House fence jumpers.
>
>> and vandalize it and threaten members of Congress, did that work?

"It is a federal crime to destroy or damage any property owned by or
under the federal government's control. This law is embodied in Title
18 U.S.C. 1361. As amended on September 13, 1994, if the damage exceeds
$100, the defendant is subject to a fine of up to $250,000, ten years
imprisonment, or both."

https://www.justice.gov/archives/jm/criminal-resource-manual-1666-destruction-government-property-18-usc-1361

> What if the cops held the door open for them. Is that still unauthorized?

 Lie: The rioters were invited into the Capitol by police

A common refrain from January 6 rioters, and some of their Republican
defenders, is that they were welcomed into the Capitol by police
officers.

Trump said in a book interview in March that "the Capitol Police were
ushering people in" and "the Capitol Police were very friendly. You
know, they were hugging and kissing." The claim has been echoed by
Trump supporters. For example, Trump-endorsed Republican Arizona
gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake declared at a Trump rally in October
that the people being held in jail over the Capitol attack "were
invited in by Capitol Police."

Facts First: The claim that the rioters were invited into the Capitol
is false. Again, about 140 police officers were assaulted while trying
to stop the mob from breaching the Capitol. There were hours-long
battles between police and rioters near some entrances. CNN obtained
footage from police body-worn cameras showing how dozens of officers
engaged in hand-to-hand combat with rioters in a desperate effort to
keep them out of the building.

There are plenty of instances where rioters waltzed into the Capitol
without a fight, but only after they had stormed past barricades and,
in some cases, even stepped through broken windows. In some areas,
police were so outnumbered by the mob that they retreated, stood aside
or tried to politely engage with rioters to de-escalate the situation
rather than fighting or making arrests, but that is clearly not the
same as welcoming rioters into the building.

Since we don't have video of every single encounter between police and
rioters, it's theoretically possible that some tiny number of officers
did invite rioters in. The Capitol Police announced in September that
three officers were facing discipline for unspecified noncriminal
"conduct unbecoming" that day, while three others were facing
discipline for other policy violations.

But no evidence has publicly emerged to date of even one officer
inviting a rioter into the Capitol. And even if a few isolated
incidents emerge in the future, it's clear that this was not a
widespread or systemic occurrence as Trump and others suggested.

Capitol Police Chief Tom Manger said on CNN in September: "The officers