Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utejt0$1fq95$1@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tabs As Syntax
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 08:13:18 -0400

Nuxxie wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> I took at the look at the Wikipedia page for GNU Make, the wonderful build
> automation tool, and I found an interesting comment.
>
> Make uses a tab character as part of its syntax.  Any competent text editor
> (except on Microslop) will clearly distinguish between tabs and spaces, but
> some still find the practice abhorrent:
>
> 'This aspect of the syntax of makefiles is often subject to criticism; it
> has been described by Eric S. Raymond as "one of the worst design botches
> in the history of Unix" and The Unix-Haters Handbook said "using tabs as
> part of the syntax is like one of those pungee stick traps in The Green
> Berets".'
>
> Gee.  I wonder what these dudes would think of Python?

The usage of spaces or tabs to determine statement scope is a great big
turnoff for me.

I don't subscribe to Guido's opinion on the visual ease of indentation.
It's easier to search for braces and use whatever indentation makes it
easy to read in context.

The beauty of C is that white space is not significant except in quotes.

--
Good night to spend with family, but avoid arguments with your mate's
new lover.