Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utf5eu$1jl3d$1@dont-email.me>

From: -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 13:13:02 -0400

On 3/20/24 5:46 AM, vallor wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Mar 2024 15:36:53 -0400, -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
> wrote in <utcpgl$10gjc$1@dont-email.me>:
>
>> And who sells hardware with Linux OS preinstalled out of the box? That
>> alone takes some searching for the retailers, so that's even more touch
>> labor time spent.
>
> If only there were some kind of global database that
> one could query for such information...
>
> BTW, what hh really wants in a Linux system is something
> running ChromeOS.  You telling me he can't find a Chromebook?

I've found that the off-the-box ChromeOS solutions have been pretty
lightweight on hardware specifications.

> (Not to mention the offerings by System76, as well as Dell.)

And HP.  They've offered some decent towers with Ubuntu, but there's
still then the DIY search for Apps.

> Oh, you'd better go to a Linux vendor, though -- otherwise, you'll
> spend "hours and hours" to "make it work".
>
> Right?  Anybody else have that experience?  "hours and hours"?

Let's not forget how DFS has frequently ribbed chrisv about how chrisv
had refused to show spending the time to optimize a build on NewEgg
because it would take too many hours...think it was part of the "more
choices are always better" which backfired on chrisv due to it being a
clear example of do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do.

> BTW, this Linux workstation (bought "turnkey") blows the doors
> off Mrs. vallor's new Mac Studio.

And this turnkey is ... what?  And what came pre-installed and are you
still using the same?

> My benchmark:  running Foocus,
> which uses pytorch, which is apparently not well-supported
> on the Mac Studio.  Maybe someday...

Different tools for different jobs...

....and yet quite ironic that even Mrs. Vallor chose to buy Apple,
despite having an in-house Linux IT family member expert support.

-hh