Article <utfcpp$2gvmn$4@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utfcpp$2gvmn$4@i2pn2.org>

From: "Paul B. Andersen" <relativity@paulba.no>
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: [SR] The traveler of Tau Ceti
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 20:19:51 +0100

Den 19.03.2024 21:29, skrev Richard Hachel:
> Le 19/03/2024 à 20:44, "Paul B. Andersen" a écrit :
>
>> You have in another posting said that the traveller's clock
>> would show  τ = √(2⋅d/a) = 4.7764 y ,
>
> That's actually what I said.
>

>> and the speed relative to
>> Tau Ceti would be Vr = a⋅t = 5.0279 ly/y when she passes the star.
>
> Absolutely.
>> Since it is experimentally confirmed that the speed relative
>> to the star never can exceed c, the theory you have used
>> to arrive at these predictions is obviously falsified.
>
> I beg you to understand something...
>
> When I talk in Vr notation, I'm talking about real speeds (which can
> take any value).
> You are talking about speeds observable in a frame of reference which is
> not that of the mobile, but that of the observer, and therefore you are
> talking about Vo.
> It is very obvious, and I have never said the opposite in 40 years of
> explanations that I wanted to be consistent, that Vo could be greater
> than c.
> It’s YOU who made me say it.
> I never said that.
> I implore you to show a little more humility when responding to me. To
> say "Doctor Hachel, you are an idiot, you don't know that we cannot
> exceed c", is to be both very extravagant, and above all very unhumble.
>
> I would not allow myself to make such a stupid and humiliating remark to
> you.

Consider an inertial observer in space.
She has instruments like clocks and telescopes and computers,
so she can measure the speed of a passing rocket relative
to herself.
Please don't say that this in principle is impossible in the real world.

Eleven such observers (O_0 ..O_10) are stationary relative to each
other, and are arranged along a straight line with 1 light year
between them.
A rocket which is accelerating at the constant proper acceleration
a = 1 c per year is instantly at rest relative to O_0.
The rocket is moving along a line parallel to the line of observers.

c = 1 light year per year.

Please show what you think the observers O_1 to O_10 would
measure the speed of the rocket to be relative to themselves.

--
Paul

https://paulba.no/