Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uthva5$2k4da$1@i2pn2.org>

From: fir <fir@grunge.pl>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Block Comments Or Rest-Of-Line Comments?
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 19:46:29 +0100

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> The original comment delimiters in C were copied from PL/I: everything
> between “/*” and “*/” is a comment, even extending across multiple lines.
> Pascal had something similar, only the delimiters were “{” and “}”, or
> “(*” and “*)” for compatibility with machines with restricted character
> sets.
>
> For some reason, the Ada folks decided block comments were not a good
> idea, and so their rule was that anything after “--” up to the end of the
> line was a comment. And C++ adopted a similar rule, using “//” as their
> to-end-of-line comment marker, though of course they also kept C-style
> block comments. Java also keeps both these styles.
>
> Since then, I’ve seen newer programmers gravitate towards the rest-of-line
> form in preference to the block form, and I’m not sure why. I’m fond of
> writing things like
>
> /*
>      A very simple HTML/XML entity-escape function--why isn’t this
>      part of the standard Java API?
> */
>
> which involve less typing than
>
> //
> //  A very simple HTML/XML entity-escape function--why isn’t this
> //  part of the standard Java API?
> //
>
> Also, the “block” form allows “interspersed” comments, where a short
> comment can be put in the middle of a line and followed by more program
> text in the rest of the line. For example, as a way of keeping long
> argument lists straight:
>
>      gdImageCopyResampled
>        (
>          /*dst =*/ ResizedFrame,
>          /*src =*/ Context.StillFrame,
>          /*dstX =*/ 0,
>          /*dstY =*/ 0,
>          /*srcX =*/ 0,
>          /*srcY =*/ 0,
>          /*dstW =*/ ResizedFrame->sx,
>          /*dstH =*/ ResizedFrame->sy,
>          /*srcW =*/ Context.StillFrame->sx,
>          /*srcH =*/ Context.StillFrame->sy
>        );
>
> Do you feel the same?

in practice i fint /* */ comments not handy - as bartc noted there is
clear bug thah they dont nest  and this is specifically annoying

"i consider this type of comments personally";

the advantage of this above is they are kinda basic i mean c using them
and not using the other type is "thinner", they also felt liek more
physical - and eventually could be build in binary imo by some compiler
switch

i never seen anybody who ises it though, and i noticed that i can use it
but not yet decided - mostly i use // coments becouse i nearly
exclusively use comments to comment out code and in editor i got it
under control+shift+c