Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utjpbj$2srhl$1@dont-email.me>

From: FPP <fredp1571@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Ketanji Jackson Worried That the 1st Amendment is Hamstringing
 Government Censorship
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 07:17:05 -0400
 <17bee95657459db9$30487$1351842$40d50a60@news.newsdemon.com>
 <atropos-E26190.16174621032024@news.giganews.com>

On 3/21/24 7:17 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article
> <17bee95657459db9$30487$1351842$40d50a60@news.newsdemon.com>,
>   moviePig <never@nothere.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/21/2024 5:50 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> But there isn't two centuries of robust interpretation *plus* the plain
>>> text of the 2nd Amendment that supports your comparison. There is
>>> however two centuries of robust interpretation *plus* the plain text of
>>> the 1st Amendment in opposition to the idea that the 1st Amendment takes
>>> a back seat to government censorship so long as the government says it
>>> really, really, honestly, pinky-swear needs to.
>>
>> Seems you're now arguing for freedom of the press, as if anyone in this
>> dialogue has ever disputed it.
>
> Effa disputed it: "Or try publishing National Defense secrets..."
>
>> Not many Usenet points for that...
>
> Points restored.

Thanny isn't a journalist.  But he is full of shit, as usual.

The Espionage Act
National defense information in general is protected by the Espionage
Act,21 18 U.S.C. §§ 793– 798, while other types of relevant information
are covered elsewhere. Some provisions apply only to government
employees or others who have authorized access to sensitive government
information, but the following provisions apply to all persons. 18
U.S.C. § 793 prohibits the gathering, transmitting, or receipt of
defense information with the intent or reason to believe the information
will be used against the United States or to the benefit of a foreign
nation.

Violators are subject to a fine or up to 10 years imprisonment, or both,
as are those who conspire to violate the statute. Persons who possess
defense information that they have reason to know could be used to harm
the national security, whether the access is authorized or unauthorized,
and who disclose that information to any person not entitled to receive
it, or who fail to surrender the information to an officer of the United
States, are subject to the same penalty. Although it is not necessary
that the information be classified by a government agency, the courts
seem to give deference to the executive determination of what
constitutes “defense information.” Information that is made available by
the government to the public is not covered under the prohibition,
however, because public availability of such information negates the
bad-faith intent requirement.

On the other hand, classified documents remain within the ambit of the
statute even if information contained therein is made public by an
unauthorized leak.

--
"Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a man’s mind." - OC
Bible  25B.G.

Gracie, age 6.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0es3xolxka455iw/BetterThingsToDo.jpg?dl=0