Article <utjtnj$2tns5$5@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utjtnj$2tns5$5@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 08:31:47 -0400

rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 07:15:29 -0000 (UTC), vallor wrote:
>
>> On 21 Mar 2024 07:00:34 GMT, rbowman <bowman@montana.com> wrote in
>> <l6248iFn16lU12@mid.individual.net>:

>>> Speaking personally I have to agree. Unless it's something hideous like
>>> dark mode I use whatever comes out of the box.
>>
>> It took me weeks and weeks to get my spinny desktop cube running!
>
> Spinny desktop cubes give me vertigo as do shaky windows and all the rest
> of that crap. I had a friend who would spend hours messing with the
> special effects. otoh I've spent hours trying to figure out how to prevent
> a window from suddenly resizing itself when it gets too close to an edge.
>
> Maybe not hours but it did take me longer than it should have to figure
> out what the hell I was doing that would suddenly display all the active
> apps on the desktop and drive a stake through its heart.
>
> Several distros became dead to me when they insisted on following
> Microsoft down the Aero rabbit hole. Truth is some days I'd like to go
> back to a 100 column amber monitor.

I run this compositor on my Fluxbox desktop:

   /usr/bin/compton -b -cCGf --active-opacity 0.95 -m 1.0 -i 0.95 -e 0.9 \
       --no-fading-openclose --sw-opti

I kill it when I want to screenshot the whole desktop.

That reminds me, I need to write a script to kill it and to restart it.

--
Good news from afar can bring you a welcome visitor.