Article <utkea9$31sr2$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utkea9$31sr2$1@dont-email.me>

From: James Kuyper <jameskuyper@alumni.caltech.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: A Famous Security Bug
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 13:14:49 -0400

On 3/21/24 14:13, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> I think this behavior (of a C compiler) rather stupid.  In a
> low-level imperative language, the compiled program shall
> do whatever the programmer commands it to do.

C is NOT that low a level of language. The standard explicitly allows
implementations to use any method they find convenient to produce
observable behavior which is consistent with the requirements of the
standard. Despite describing how that behavior might be produced by the
abstract machine, it explicitly allows an implementation to achieve that
behavior by other means.

If you want to tell a system not only what a program must do, but also
how it must do it, you need to use a lower-level language than C. That's
not what C is for.