Article <utkmui$341tn$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utkmui$341tn$1@dont-email.me>

From: DFS <nospam@dfs.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Python When There Is Perl?
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:42:10 -0400

On 3/22/2024 1:49 PM, rbowman wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 11:09:28 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> On 3/22/2024 10:18 AM, Pathetic Piet wrote:
>>

>>> I'd love to see these C++/Python/Whatever jockeys attempt to control a
>>> nuclear power plant or a military fighter aircraft with their piddling
>>> "classes."  They would only recoil in horror.
>> bad strawman, Feeb.
>>
>>   From what I've read, lots of avionics, RTOS and embedded code is
>> written in C++ (and Ada).
>
> Yeah, the F-35 software must be written in Ada :)

That's what "they" say:

"Which programming languages were used in F-22 and F-35 projects?
"Boeing used to require Ada for all avionics in their jets. Since the
military also required Ada, it became the predominant language in
avionics. Ada was a good choice because reliability could be guaranteed
and it was efficient (in some cases, more efficient than C). That
changed in the 90’s because Ada was not as popular as some other
languages and so the compilers and other tools were expensive and the
software engineers were fewer and more expensive."

"According to online sources, the F 35 is programmed in C and C++
because of programmer availability. This was also possibly reused from
F-22. The international standard to program jet fighters is Ada, which
was used in the F-22."

"If you mean onboard avionics and guidance systems, a lot of Ada is
used, particularly by the US military, and C and numerous “specialty”
languages would also be used."

"While there are some exceptions, almost all USAF and NATO guidance and
control systems are written in Ada, a structured, statically typed
ALGOL-like language that supports concurrency and message passing."

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-programming-language-used-in-fighter-jets