Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utkt5e$35e7h$1@dont-email.me>

From: Justisaur <justisaur@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: {Game Developer] Obituary: Jim Ward, Dungeons & Dragons designer,
 died at age 72
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 14:28:14 -0700

On 3/22/2024 10:34 AM, kyonshi wrote:
> On 3/22/2024 4:17 PM, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 10:29:03 +0100, kyonshi <gmkeros@gmail.com> wrote:
>> His "Greyhawk Adventures" hardbound was interesting, but sadly lacked
>> the charm and accessibility of other D&D product lines. It was a
>> product I really wanted to get behind, but never could. But I think
>> that has more to do with the generally unappealing nature of Greyhawk
>> than any fault of Ward's writing.
>
> I do actually have Greyhawk Adventures. It's... kind of pointless. Sorry
> to say.
> Greyhawk in my opinion is not a bad setting, but it only makes sense in
> the original folio/boxed set form. Once all kinds of people got their
> hands on it and tried to fill it with stuff it just didn't work anymore.
> This is a setting that delights in minimalism, both in the setting, and
> the material produced for it.

I have The World of Greyhawk setting boxed set, and frankly it's
probably the worst thing I ever bought when it was new.  There just
wasn't anything particularly useful to someone not already familiar with
the setting (me at the time.) I couldn't figure out how to use it as a
setting as it was like reading a very dry text of what the people of a
particular region were.

The original FR was sooo much better.

--
-Justisaur