Article <utlkoe$4ve$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utlkoe$4ve$1@tncsrv09.home.tnetconsulting.net>

From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@tnetconsulting.net>
Newsgroups: comp.mail.sendmail
Subject: Re: sender rewrining advice
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 23:10:54 -0500

On 3/21/24 07:12, none wrote:
>    |      C     |
>    |            |
>    |  virtuser  |
>    |            |
>    +------------+
>
> host a: incomming, mx
> host b: outgoing, smtp with user auth
> host c: user mailboxes, user@example.com (not test@example.com)
>
> Indeed. I am trying to use email addresses here and not domains. So NDR
> are generated on host A / mx server.

I take it that host A is not fully aware of the recipient addresses that
are on host B.  Thus why host A needs to bounce / DSN / NDR a message
that it accepted responsibility for.

If host A was fully aware of the recipient addresses that are on host B,
then host A could have rejected the inbound message and not need to send
a bounce / DSN / NDR.  The bounce / DSN / NDR would be the
responsibility of the system trying to send to host A.

> I have there, access:
> to:test@example.com    RELAY

Do you also have a corresponding REJECT?

    to:@example.com	REJECT

Without the REJECT I would expect Sendmail to accept the message as part
of the relay-domains configuration.

> This ldap entry currently makes emails being routed from the mx server A
> to the outgoing server B

That's what I thought.

> correct

Thank you for confirming.

I'll have to go Read The Fine Manual again to see how LDAP routing comes
into play for relayed / non-local domains.

> Yes the above does this currently with ldap routing. But I don't know if
> this is the best way to do it.

My dusty understanding of LDAP routing is that it's intended for
multiple servers to share the same domain name(s); e.g. @example.com,
and know which server hosts specific mailboxes.  Meaning that both host
A and host C would be configured with @example.com in their
local-host-names file.

> host C, LOCAL is not in the spf records. I think external access is even
> blocked. I had spammers by passing spam blocking on the mx / host a and
> delivering directly to C

SPF is about the connecting host.

As such, GuerrillaMail.com will see host B as the connecting host and
check it's IP against SPF records.

Depending on your configuration, hosts A, B, and C may need to either
have allow list entries or valid SPF information for each other.

> ok I made note of this, I will enhance this later.

:-)

> I am not sure if my outgoing, host b, has access to the
> local-host-names. It is still using the same clusterid as host c and can
> probably access the local-host-names.

Even if it doesn't have access to the local-host-names file on hosts A
or C, you could probably copy the contents to a similar file and
configure the methodology to use that file in lieu of the
local-host-names file.

> But I think in the near future I will create a separate clusterid for
> the outgoing, host b.

Okay.

> (Used to have everything in one host)

ACK

> At some point in the future I would like to secure host b more, so
> authenticated users can only send out email with their assigned address.

I'm aware that such is done by some MTAs.  I've wondered about doing
that with Sendmail.  But then I realized that users were authenticating,
thus I would have a good idea (but no guarantee) who, or at least which
account, was being used to abuse things.  I've not needed to actually go
down this path (yet).

> So currently I am able to route from host a to host b the emails send to
> test@example.com.
> How should I go about to enable SRS for senders to test@example.com on
> host b?

You could SRS /everything/ leaving host B.  It won't actually hurt anything.

SRS your own envelopes is a little silly and maybe even questionable.

 From memory -- I'll look some time this weekend -- the SRS routine that
I'm using uses the local-host-names file (class w) as part of the test
to determine if envelope senders should be rewritten or not.

I don't think that it /must/ /be/ the local-host-names file (class w).
I naively assume that you could use any file name you wanted and declare
a new class to be used for this test.  It would be a minor change to the
rules to look at that alternate named file / class.

--
Grant. . . .