Article <utlpug$1n0oi$2@solani.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utlpug$1n0oi$2@solani.org>

From: Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 00:39:27 -0500

On 3/22/2024 10:04 PM, rbowman wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 22:53:54 -0000 (UTC), RonB wrote:
>
>> I pity the kids.
>
> Beats the hell out of what I had as a kid:
>
> https://picclick.com/1950s-Vintage-Yellow-Sterling-Multiplier-Pencil-Box-
> Case-313543772142.html

You used a table to see the multiplication results? We memorized them in
third grade.

And we didn't memorize the logic about them or any rule to follow in our
minds to get the results, but to memorize the sound they made as we read
them fast (in Persian of course) in our minds. I still do that!

For instance, for me 7 times 9 isn't 63 because it would be 7 less than
7 times 10 which is 70, but it would be 63 because I have that sound
recorded in my mind since the third grade, saying "hafnohta, shastoseta"
which in English translates to "seventimesnine, sixtythree". And so on
for all the 81 different multiplications of 1 to 9 by 1 to 9.

I still have all those 81 sounds in my mind :) And use them too to get
the results, like:

hashtshishta, chelohashta  (eighttimessix, fortyeight)

as well as,

shishashta, chelohashta (sixtimeseitht, fortyeight)

both!

When I say the first part in my mind, my mind gives me the second part
of the sound that the two terms make.

I thought it was so everywhere around the world. We never used any
multiplication table. If numbers were greater than 9 we either logically
solved them in mind or did the actual multiplication with pen and paper
to get the results.