Article <utmr26$3k9dr$2@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utmr26$3k9dr$2@dont-email.me>

From: vallor <vallor@cultnix.org>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 15:04:38 -0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 14:35:25 +0000, Lester Thorpe <lt@gnu.rocks> wrote in
<17bf6b7333fab780$3$2218499$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>:

> Attention All Sane Gentoo Users!
>
> It's profile change time (it happens about once ever 5 years).
> The default will soon be profile 23.0.
>
> No big deal, eh?  Well, no, unless you are a sane and rational human
> being.
>
> The security paranoiacs are at it again.  Profile 23.0 will force the
> use of "default-stack-clash-protection" and "default-znow" options for
> the gcc compiler, which will then cause all packages to be built with
> those fucking insane hardening features.
>
> This stuff use to be limited specifically to the "hardened"
> profiles, but not any more.  The crazy mutherfucking Gentoo devs have
> made it the default for ALL profiles.
>
> But there is a way to avoid this psycho-security shit.
>
> The files in /etc/portage/profile allow the user to override that
> whacked nonsense.
>
> Just add the following line to your "package.use.force"
> file:
>
> sys-devel/gcc -cet -default-stack-clash-protection -default-znow -libssp
> nopie nossp -pie -sanitize -ssp vanilla -vtv
>
> Make sure the "vanilla" is there.  That will prevent any Gentoo-custom
> security patches from being applied.
>
> That'll keep their fucking psycho fingers off your gcc.
>
> Gentoo is still the ONE and ONLY GNU/Linux distro.

So you admit you use a "distro" -- doesn't that make
you a "distro-lackey", hmmmm?

> ALL others are just TOYS for FUCKING TOTS.

When I think of the gyrations I used to go through to
use Fedora Core, then Fedora...

I don't know what that's like today, but that was some real
he-man Linux.

You kids don't know how easy you have it now.

I switched to Mint because I got tired of fighting
Red Hat's control of a (supposedly) "community" distribution.
Got too old for the "add repo X to be able to play an mp3", or
"sorry, we won't include ECC in our openssl SRPMS because
we don't understand the legal ramifications".  Had enough of
that.

And also:  who here, besides you, is using Gentoo?

--
-v