Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utnjpc$3sqhf$3@dont-email.me>

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Python When There Is Perl?
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 22:06:37 -0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 16:45:51 -0500, Physfitfreak wrote:

> But, what is wrong with taking the absence of a condition as a condition
> of its own, and not as the negated form of that condition?

Aka “the law of the excluded middle”. Remember, we are working in an
algebra where variables only have two possible values. If you want to add
a third value, you end up with a different algebra.

For an example of the difference this makes, in conventional number
algebra, you may already know the distributivity rule:

    A(B + C) = AB + AC

In Boolean algebra, you also have this distributivity rule:

    A + BC = (A + B)(A + C)

There is a duality between true and false, 1 and 0, which allows you to
flip any theorem around by interchanging the two, and making some other
simple transformations. For example, De Morgan’s theorems:

Notice the symmetry between them.