Article <uto92s$1oeii$1@solani.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uto92s$1oeii$1@solani.org>

From: Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Python When There Is Perl?
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2024 23:10:03 -0500
 <17bf8777050f5c1e$7$2218499$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>
 <uto07e$1oa9p$1@solani.org>

On 3/23/2024 8:38 PM, Physfitfreak wrote:
> On 3/23/2024 6:08 PM, Farley Flud wrote:
>> If a number is not prime, then could it be odd?  This is the
>> correct way to to interpret "~A => B."  The answer is "yes"
>> and the condition is true.
>

> Ok, got it at last.
>
> Then they should not have used the notion of implication ("IMP") right
> between A and B.
>
> Correct choices would be an abbreviation of one of these phrases:
>
> - Could it be that (CIBT)
> - Would it logically allow (WILA)
> - is it possible that (IIPT)
> - concurrent with (CW)
>
> I would prefer the CW of course, for brevity and yet enough transparency.
>
> In other words, we must use the notion of _concurrence_, and not
> _implication_. Somebody fucked the wording of it up.
>
> The notion of implication comes _after_ A IMP B =, not between A and B!
>
> So I bet nowhere in math the word "implication" has been used for it
> except at the very last result. So you've got to be careful what math
> symbols you are using in explaining it.
>
> Would be nice to find when and where the use of "IMP" appeared first,
> and by whom. It must've been a programming language book, and not a math
> book.
>
> The shit one has to go through to get it, when something of math nature
> is placed in the hands of a grocer to develop. The one who chose
> implication, should've chosen a career in grocery store business.
>
> Again, thank you for the clarification.

But still some ambiguity remains in my mind.

(A AND B) = (B AND A), and (A OR B) = (B OR A). They commute, so to
speak. But (A IMP B) doesn't commute. How would computer distinguish
between A and B then? Does it look at the ordering to see what comes
first as it goes from left to right, and gives the role of A to that
one? In that case The programmer needs to damn well know which one of
the condition he places to the left of IMP and which one to the right!
This is a new situation.

Is it so?

I've never had to do that.