Article <utopik$89n1$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utopik$89n1$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Fred. Zwarts" <F.Zwarts@HetNet.nl>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Can an abort decider be defined that cannot be fooled by any
 pathological input?
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 09:51:33 +0100

Op 24.mrt.2024 om 05:55 schreef olcott:
> Can an abort decider be defined that cannot be fooled by any
> pathological input?
>
> 01 int D(ptr x)  // ptr is pointer to int function
> 02 {
> 03   int Halt_Status = H(x, x);
> 04   if (Halt_Status)
> 05     HERE: goto HERE;
> 06   return Halt_Status;
> 07 }
> 08
> 09 void main()
> 10 {
> 11   H(D,D);
> 12 }
>
> Of all of the elements of the set of H(D,D) where H simulates its
> input there are matched pairs of otherwise identical elements that
> only differ by whether they abort their simulation or not.
>
> The half of these that don't abort are incorrect because all deciders
> must halt. This makes the other half correct about the abort/no abort
> decision.

No. The other, aborting, half is just wrong, because it aborts when it
is not needed. So, the half that aborts is wrong and it may be argued
that it is better to not abort something that halts on its own and that
therefore not responding is better than responding with a wrong answer.
So, both halves are wrong, but the half that aborts is more wrong. It
gives the wrong answer. The other half is also wrong, but it does not
give a wrong answer, but does not respond.

> I don't think an abort decider can be fooled by a pathological input.

I am very sorry to hear that.