Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utp8ca$c5vq$5@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 09:04:10 -0400
 <ug4vui1sog06gsn7r2dep8t32pg539pnc9@4ax.com> <usq48p$dl57$1@dont-email.me>
 <17bc1de93bb4055f$981$3331982$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>
 <usr82n$19trd$4@solani.org> <ut4t4o$32464$1@dont-email.me>
 <65f600a1$0$8233$426a74cc@news.free.fr> <utcpgl$10gjc$1@dont-email.me>
 <uteb9m$1bjsl$2@dont-email.me> <utf5eu$1jl3d$1@dont-email.me>
 <utghut$1bjsl$3@dont-email.me> <utk5b5$2vlsq$1@dont-email.me>
 <2gqrvipoegof3gslf8p8lmnkveleoqpf3r@4ax.com>
 <l66i8cFe9t7U3@mid.individual.net> <utmhue$3k6u5$8@dont-email.me>
 <utmufm$3nhue$1@dont-email.me>

-hh wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 3/23/24 8:29 AM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> rbowman wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

>>> I think the 'get ready' time is equivalent. I've got my catalog of stuff I
>>> install most of which are cross platform.
>>>
>>> Full disclosure: I've never installed Windows since I upgraded a 3.1
>>> laptop to 3.11 Workgroup.  At work IT drops off the new Windows box or I
>>> buy something with Windows pre-installed. My builds have all went straight
>>> to Linux.
> Same here:  for Windows, everything was turnkey by IT, including the
> installation of all relevant Apps.  All I had to do was to log in and
> walk through a couple of settings in MS-Outlook to link into the host
> computer.  OTOH, if it wasn't a Windows box, it was 100% DIY, but also
> came with instructions of various command line modifications that IT
> security required...a royal PITA.
>
>>> When IT drops off a bare metal box they leave rapidly. Linux is strictly
>>> 'don't ask, don't tell' for them.
>>
>> Every laptop the government handed me for project usage immediately got Linux
>> on it. The main downside was that we had to set up the CAC and handle security
>> updates ourselves.  Me, the Russian guy, and a couple other dudes.
>
> I recall using PKard, a third party CAC reader, during a time when MacOS
> didn't natively support stuff.  It was learn-as-you-go, since it was up
> to local IT groups to decide if they were going to support anything
> non-Windows.  Fortunately, MacOS now natively supports CAC readers
> again, so there's one fewer hoop to have to jump through.

One of the gummint guys on-site used a Mac.

By the way, it's not the CAC itself, but loading all the certs without the aid
of Windows crapware that was an issue.

    https://militarycac.com/linux.htm

The drivers themselves were installable via the package manager.

I used Debian for a long time until I got an email saying I had to use a RedHat
product.  But CentOS fit the bill.

--
Q:	What's hard going in and soft and sticky coming out?
A:	Chewing gum.