Article <utqa12$kfuv$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utqa12$kfuv$1@dont-email.me>

From: David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: A Famous Security Bug
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 23:38:26 +0100

On 24/03/2024 21:49, Keith Thompson wrote:
> bart <bc@freeuk.com> writes:
> [...]
>> But what people want are the conveniences and familiarity of a HLL,
>> without the bloody-mindedness of an optimising C compiler.
> [...]
>
> Exactly which people want that?
>
> The evidence suggests that, while some people undoubtedly want that (and
> it's a perfectly legitimate desire), there isn't enough demand to induce
> anyone to actually produce such a thing and for it to catch on.

I personally think (or speculate, if you feel the word is more
appropriate given that I have no real evidence) that a major part of
this is a lack of agreement on what optimisations these people want or
don't want.  I expect Kaz and Bart would agree that they want C
compilers to be required to generate code that does what they mean it to
do, and be able to optimise within those requirements to do the required
job as efficiently as possible.  But I expect they would disagree in
many ways in regard to what they mean by it all - what optimisations are
allowed, and what code /really/ means in their eyes.

The best we can reasonably hope for is for a carefully considered
document that describes minimum requirements, and for compilers to
provide flags to allow fine-tuning so that programmers can get the
results they want.

And that is /exactly/ what we have with C and quality C compilers.
Sure, none of this is perfect or an ideal fit for everyone and every
task - but it is good enough that you'd need to come up with something
quite extraordinary to make it attractive compared to C.