Article <utqe35$1pb48$1@solani.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utqe35$1pb48$1@solani.org>

From: Physfitfreak <Physfitfreak@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 18:47:49 -0500
 <ug4vui1sog06gsn7r2dep8t32pg539pnc9@4ax.com> <usq48p$dl57$1@dont-email.me>
 <17bc1de93bb4055f$981$3331982$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>
 <usr82n$19trd$4@solani.org> <ut4t4o$32464$1@dont-email.me>
 <65f600a1$0$8233$426a74cc@news.free.fr> <utcpgl$10gjc$1@dont-email.me>
 <uteb9m$1bjsl$2@dont-email.me> <dopmvihbiuf7p5u52lr02tjjf8b4pogbdn@4ax.com>
 <utk7j8$309po$1@dont-email.me> <utk8f7$30e7n$3@dont-email.me>
 <utkhn3$32kac$4@dont-email.me> <utl262$36lna$2@dont-email.me>
 <l66v5rFe9t7U11@mid.individual.net> <utlpug$1n0oi$2@solani.org>
 <l68o9rFoi1bU5@mid.individual.net> <utnnd7$1o32m$5@solani.org>
 <l6a1r4FtmmgU9@mid.individual.net>

On 3/24/2024 2:08 AM, rbowman wrote:
> You're as bad as my third grade teacher.

No I figured it out.

I think it was not a mistake in the sense that one didn't know enough
and as a result got the results wrong. You knew your algorithm and
correctly followed it, but it happened that it was not the correct
algorithm. So the mistake was somebody else's who hadn't clarified the
procedure closely enough for you and hadn't tested the result of his
teaching to make sure the procedure was correctly conveyed to the pupils.

So it was an "innocent mistake" on your side of the matters.

In Iran, they had made it much less probable for the student to take the
wrong procedure, by simply placing the carried number way away from the
calculation area, writing it there, and coming back to continue the next
step of the multiplication, and only then going to where the carry
number was sitting to add it to and immediately crossing the carry
number so it wouldn't get mixed up with the next one we'd write in that
area away from the calculation. This helped us greatly; otherwise, the
two algorithms by themselves gave no indication which one was the
correct one.