Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utspj9$1aphh$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-24 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 12:31:57 -0700

On 3/25/2024 11:37 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> The Crying Game (Showtime) 1992 movie written and directed by Neil
>> Jordan and staring Stephen Rea as an IRA member who kidnaps a British
>> solder played by Forest Whitaker.  While a hostage Rea and Whitaker sort
>> of become friends and Whitaker tells Rea about his girlfriend back in
>> London.  Whitaker winds getting killed during a rescue attempt and Rea
>> decides to head to London to look up Whitaker's girl.  But in a shocking
>> reveal Whitaker's girl turns out to be a Goa'uld named Ra.
>
> And then... he entirely dropped out of movie acting.

The way I heard it he had no interest in acting and asked for a million
dollars to do Stargate because he didn't think they'd pay it.  And when
did they pay he basically took the money and ran.

>> Repo Men (blu-ray) 2010 sci-fi movie starring Jude Law and Forest
>> Whitaker as repo men who instead of repossessing cars for a missed
>> payment, they repossess human organs while the person is still out and
>> about on the street.  Things take a turn when Jude Law winds up with one
>> of the company's hearts keeping him alive and his best friend Whitaker
>> is sent to retrieve it.  This has been on my rewatch list forever.  I
>> haven't watched this since seeing it the theater and forgot pretty much
>> everything about it except the ending.
>
> Oh, I want to like this movie. Wasn't this like the second or third
> adaptation? I was really never clear. I think it's from a graphic novel.

I was on the fence about maybe trying to squeeze in "Repo! The Genetic
Opera" and very surprised that it came out first.  Is it what you were
thinking of?

>> The Talented Mr. Ripley (blu-ray) 1999 movie starring Matt Damon as a
>> con man who is paid by Jude Law's father to travel to Italy and talk his
>> son into returning to America.  But instead Damon weasels his way into
>> Jude's life and begins to take it over, especially after he murders Law
>> and has to keep murdering people to cover up what he did.  The movie
>> holds up great.  It's been on my rewatch list forever.  I finally broke
>> down and forced myself to watch it again since there is a new Netflix
>> series debuting next week.
>
> There is? Why?

It's a new TV series starring Andrew Scott as Tom Ripley.  It debuts
April 4th on Netflix.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripley_(TV_series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE0byWSKp0E

I noticed John Malkovich who played Ripley in "Ripley's Game" in 2002.

> The performances are great, especially Jude Law. This movie needed to be
> better.
>
>> The Regime (HBO) - "Midnight Feast" - Picking up a few months after the
>> last episode, Kate Winselt's henchman has been rotting in a dungeon. He
>> then meets the previous prime minister who was also locked away.  The
>> former minister thinks the henchman would make a good ally, but the
>> henchman has other plans.
>
> I need to catch up, or decide to drop it.

It's a weird series. The satire can be hit or miss, but it mostly works
for me.