Article <utt3qt$1cuoq$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utt3qt$1cuoq$1@dont-email.me>

From: olcott <polcott2@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.theory,sci.logic
Subject: Re: Can an abort decider be defined that cannot be fooled by any
 pathological input?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 19:11:09 -0500

On 3/25/2024 6:47 PM, Richard Damon wrote:
> On 3/25/24 1:33 PM, olcott wrote:

>>> Even a beginner sees that, if the H that aborts is chosen, simulated
>>> H(D,D) aborts and returns false (unless aborted). So simulated D
>>> halts (unless aborted).
>>>

>> I am estimating that you must be fibbing about your programming skill.
>> The D simulated by any implementation of H (that aborts or does not
>> abort its simulation) shown above cannot possibly reach its own line 04
>> also shown above.
>>

> But that isn't the question.

*That <is> the abort decision question*

> The question is does that machine described by the input Halt when run,
> or, alternatively, does its correct simulation (not just by H) run
> forever (and thus needs to be aborted)?

Since you know that H(D,D) must abort its simulation to prevent its
own infinite execution I don't understand why you would lie about it.

I really want to get on to the next step and see if any input can
fool an abort decider into making the wrong abort decision.

Perhaps you already know that you are not up to this challenge?