Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utt63r$1dfvh$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-24 (Sunday)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 15:08:13 -0700

On 3/25/2024 1:50 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> The Twilight Zone S4E17 'Passage on the Lady Anne' - DVR
> A woman hopes a trans-Atlantic cruise and holiday in London will halp
> save her marriage.  (Comcast)
> A young American couple, the Ransomes, who are trying to salvage their
> troubled marriage, insist on booking passage on an old trans-Atlantic
> cruise liner. But other passengers try to persuade them to disembark
> immediately.

How exactly does a ghost ship interact with a regular ticketing agency?!?

> Trivia:
> Because of the large number of well-known actors in this episode, the
> closing theme featured a credit roll of cast names instead of the usual
> still frames. The remaining non-cast credits were then done with
> standard still frames. This was the only episode of the series to ever
> use a credit roll.
> Joyce Van Patten is the sole member of the cast still alive, as of
> August, 2021.
> This was the last Charles Beaumont Twilight Zone screenplay to be
> actually fully written by Beaumont himself. Around the time this episode
> was made, Beaumont (then only 34) began suffering from the rapid onset
> of a degenerative neurological disorder (believed to be either
> Alazheimer's and/or Pick's Disease) which affected his speech, memory
> and concentration, as well as causing him to physically age very
> rapidly. As the disease progressed, Beaumont was soon unable to meet his
> writing commitments. A number of his writer friends, including Jerry
> Sohl and William F. Nolan, supported Beaumont by ghostwriting stories
> with or for him and submitting them in his name, although Beaumont
> insisted on splitting the fees with his helpers. His last screen credit
> (also probably ghostwritten) was in 1965, by which time he was too ill
> to work at all, and he died on 21 February 1967, aged only 38, although
> his son later recounted that his father "looked ninety-five" at the time
> of his death.
>

> The Twilight Zone S4E18 'The Bard' - DVR
> A would-be writer (Jack Weston) summons William Shakespeare to help him
> write a teleplay.  With John McGiver, Burt Reynolds.  (Comcast)
> Julius Moomer, a talentless, but relentless, self-promoting hack who
> dreams of becoming a successful television writer, uses a book of magic
> to summon William Shakespeare to write dramatic teleplays that Moomer
> will pass off as his own. Shakespeare becomes irritated by Moomer's lack
> of appreciation and is even more appalled when he discovers the changes
> wrought on his plays by cynical television executives.

I definitely remember this one, sort of.  I don't remember Burt Reynolds
being in it.  And every time I try to think of specifics my brain goes
back to the episode with the guy who could create things with the tape
recorder.  OK, so I don't remember it specifically.  But I know I
watched it.

The 80s Twilight Zone did a version of this but in that one the person
from the present was sent back in time and had to write the stories for
Shakespeare.

> Trivia:
> William Shakespeare (John Williams) quotes lines from his plays nine
> times with a trumpet flourish sounding each time, and most of the time,
> him telling what play, act, and scene the quote came from. Three from
> 'Romeo & Juliet,' two from 'Twelfth Night,' and one each from 'Troilus
> and Cressida,' 'As You Like It,' and 'A Mid-Summer's Night Dream', plus
> a partial one from 'Hamlet' (cut short when Shakespeare forgets the end
> of the "To be or not to be" line.
> Jack Weston and Marge Redmond (Mr. Hugo's secretary) were married in
> real life at this time.
> Burt Reynolds's character is clearly an amalgam of Marlon Brando and
> Paul Newman.
> Burt Reynolds and Jack Weston would act together again in Fuzz (1972)
> and Gator (1976).  (This one was just to irritate Ian. :) )
> Burt Reynolds appeared on this show only once on a Thursday, the
> following Saturday he appeared in his regular serious Gunsmoke.
>
>      William Shakespeare: To be or not to be Mr. Moomer, that...
>      [Trumpets begin to sound, but are cut short, as he appears to
> forget his line. He shrugs his shoulders and exits through the door.
>  From Hamlet Act 3, Scene 1 by Hamlet-not mentioned by Shakespeare]
>
> Narrator: [Opening Narration] You've just witnessed opportunity, if not
> knocking, at least scratching plaintively on a closed door. Mr. Julius
> Moomer, a would-be writer who, if talent came twenty-five cents a pound,
> would be worth less than car fare. But, in a moment, Mr. Moomer, through
> the offices of some black magic, is about to embark on a brand-new
> career. And although he may never get a writing credit on the Twilight
> Zone, he's to become an integral character in it.
>

> The Twilight Zone S5E01 'In Praise of Pip' - DVR
> Bookmaker Max Phillips that his son is dying in Vietnam and tries to
> save him.  With Jack Klugman.  (Comcast)

And if he doesn't save him he'll be wished into the cornfield.

> [...]
>
> In Pursuit of More Trivia!:
> The favorite Twilight Zone of Rod Serling's daughter Anne Serling.
> Watching she noticed several conversations between son Pip and father
> Pop were almost identical to banter she had with her father. Rod Serling
> nicknamed his daughter Pop, not Pip, and the final image on screen which
> fits the narrative was also a personal message to his daughter.
> The script originally had Pip stationed in Laos, but the network had Rod
> Serling change it to Vietnam. Incredibly, CBS didn't want it set in
> Laos, as that country was at the time the scene of intense fighting and
> insisted the story be set in the more peaceful location of South
> Vietnam. This episode was produced about two years before the massive
> intervention of American forces in South Vietnam.
> Bill Mumy's father rarely joined his son on sets, but joined him on this
> occasion because the two often visited the pier they filmed on. His
> father recalled being impressed with Jack Klugman who introduced himself
> to the family and explained that father and son would be extremely
> affectionate. Mumy joined his own son Seth Mumy on set of Dear God
> (1996) with Klugman 30 years later.
> eatures perhaps the first scene in American television set in the
> Vietnam War, the opening scene where a wounded Pip is brought into the
> field hospital. It's also one of the first American TV dramas to mention
> the conflict in Vietnam and feature a Vietnam veteran, although Route 66
> (1960) had added a Vietnam veteran character earlier in the year.
> One of only three TZ episodes to feature the line "Submitted for your
> approval" during Rod Serling's opening narration, which is probably the
> phrase most closely associated with the show that comes from those
> monologues.
> Essentially a rewrite of Next of Kin (1953), also written by Rod
> Serling. The main plot thread of "Next Of Kin" features the same
> characters, virtually all of the same character names, and the same
> situations and general plot line. The fantasy element introduced in the
> final third of the story, however, is unique to The Twilight Zone version.
>
> Quote:
> Max Phillips: My son is dying in a place called Vietnam. There isn't
> even supposed to be a war going on, but my son is dying.
>

> The Twilight Zone S5E02 'Steel' - DVR
> Two small-time promoters find that their fighter can't meet his opponent
> in the ring.  With Lee Marvin.  (Comcast)
> In 1974, boxing has been outlawed and is performed by mechanical robots.
> With his next and possibly last fight approaching and his robot in need
> of repair, he resorts to one last desperate gamble.  (IMDb)
>
> Trivia:
> Of the sixteen episodes written by Richard Matheson, this was reportedly
> his favorite.
> Adapted from Richard Matheson's own short story.
> This episode was in part inspiration for the film Real Steel (2011).

You beat me to it.  :-)

I keep meaning to do a proper Richard Matheson marathon, but his movies
are so different, it never works.  Plus whenever I watch "Omega Man"
that pairs better as it's own thing with either other Heston flicks
and/or other adaptations of the story.