Article <utt7kt$1ejr$1@news.mixmin.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utt7kt$1ejr$1@news.mixmin.net>

From: Anonymous <anon@anon.net>
Newsgroups: misc.phone.mobile.iphone
Subject: Re: Justice Department files antitrust suit against Apple
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 21:16:12 -0400

Alan Browne wrote:
> On 2024-03-25 02:45, Anonymous wrote:
>> Tyrone wrote:
>
>>> You keep saying that, but it makes no sense. And AGAIN, what laws is Apple not
>>> abiding? Because YOU don't like Apple does not mean they are breaking any
>>> laws.
>>>
>>> Apple is a consumer products company.  They are selling directly to consumers.
>>>   How do you sell consumer products to consumers (who line up to buy your
>>> products, BTW) AND be "anti-consumer" at the same time?
>>>
>>> If Apple truly WAS "anti-consumer", then NO ONE WOULD BUY THE PRODUCTS. Do you
>>> understand simple logic?
>>>
>>> This DOJ case is all based on competitors whining that it is too difficult for
>>> them to make money selling software/whatever to Apple's customers. Well boo
>>> hoo. Apple is like 25% of the global market for phones and PCs. Try selling
>>> your stuff to the 75% of the market.
>>>
>>> Or feel free to create your own phones/tablets/desktops/ecosystem and make
>>> your money from your own products. Not just leeching from other company's
>>> products.
>>>
>>> U.S. anti-trust laws exist to protect consumers.  Not competitors.
>>
>> I'm not a lawyer, but the government can claim that Apple is engaging
>> in conspiracy to restrain trade and commerce, which is broadly illegal
>
> Apple has plenty of competition.

According to the law, that doesn't matter as far as conspiracy is concerned.

>> and does not require Apple to actually be a monopoly. And forget suing;
>> Tim Cook himself can be arrested and tried criminally for this if the
>> government ever decided to actually enforce the law.
>
> ROFL.  At least you got the "I'm not a lawyer" part right.

15 U.S. Code § 1:

"Every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or
conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or
with foreign nations, is declared to be illegal. Every person who shall make
any contract or engage in any combination or conspiracy hereby declared to
be illegal shall be deemed guilty of a felony, and, on conviction thereof,
shall be punished by fine not exceeding $100,000,000 if a corporation, or,
if any other person, $1,000,000, or by imprisonment not exceeding 10 years,
or by both said punishments, in the discretion of the court."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/1