Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<utusbg$1t4ak$5@dont-email.me>

From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Dispatches from Clown World: Actual NY Times Headline
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 16:15:44 -0000 (UTC)

suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:
>On 3/26/2024 4:22 AM, NoBody wrote:
>>On Tue, 26 Mar 2024 00:43:03 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>>Wait a minute. Trump's civil fraud verdict was based on the notion he
>>>systematically gave an incorrect valuation to his properties in order to
>>>deceive lenders (even though all lenders were repaid and none of them ever
>>>made complaints against him and all said they'd do business with him again).

>>>Now, the New York Times admits that reaching a proper valuation for Trump's
>>>buildings is a "guessing game".

>>>https://ibb.co/tJkZL5d

>>>Untangling Trump's Real Estate
>>>Donald Trump owes $454 million by Monday or risks losing some
>>>properties. But experts say valuing the buildings would be a guessing
>>>game.

>>Well a liberal judge who decided upon guilt before the trial began
>>(and stated so at the start) guessed at the value of everything and
>>declared that the offense was so terrible that it required a
>>ridiculous fine that you have to post in full if you want to appeal
>>his stupidity.

>>About sums the whole thing up.

>It's normal for a bond for the whole fine, plus interest, to be posted
>for an appeal. He was already found guilty of fraud last year, the
>latest trial was to determine the amount of the fine. They figured it
>out by determining the amount of taxes that would have been owed, plus
>the amount of interest on loans if the real amount of the property had
>been stated in the first place.

Do you have the URL of that news article that you just read?

I didn't know the fraud case was also about underpayment of state taxes,
and I'm not sure how Trump's mis-appraisal resulted in a larger
underpayment of taxes. If he overstated the value, then his assessment
was too high and he overpaid property taxes.

Does New York still have a personal property tax?