Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uu1g93$2ue64$1@dont-email.me>

From: Chris Ahlstrom <OFeem1987@teleworm.us>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:08:00 -0400

-hh wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

> On 3/26/24 12:29 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> I would prefer the desktop stay out of my way. That's why my Linux desktop has
>> no icons or "start" menu (a right-click on the desktop brings up a menu; and
>> each can be torn off so that it stays on the desktop.)
>
> Um...we've seen your "elegant" desktop before...
                        ^ (damning with faint praise)

> <http://huntzinger.com/usenet/Chris_Ahlstrom-Facebook_Linux-desktop.jpg>

Did I say it was "elegant"?  How kind of you to preserve and remember my
example of what can be done with fluxbox and compton. I will often open up a
number of windows on my github app to create a screenshot showing multiple
dialogs and editing windows at once.

You missed capturing my demo of fluxbox tear-off menus back then

You showed me mine. Now show me yours.  :-D

>>> ...which
>>> both you and Stéphane lack when attempting to make your arguments be
>>> convincing:  you're following the path of 'Religious Zealot'.
>>
>> Dude, you're trying to say that people cannot strongly prefer something not
>> provided by the vendor?
>
> No.  What I'm saying is simply that no matter how loudly they try to
> stomp their feet, their mere personal preference doesn't constitute
> objective proof that the mainstream UI solution is allegedly as horrible
> as they try to claim.

It provides all the proof they need to avoid it. For me, I can't fscking stand
using Windows, even with the help of Git Bash.

--
I got a hint of things to come when I overheard my boss lamenting, 'The
books are done and we still don't have an author! I must sign someone