Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uu2c09$34rm0$1@dont-email.me>

From: -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 20:01:13 -0400
 <ug4vui1sog06gsn7r2dep8t32pg539pnc9@4ax.com> <usq48p$dl57$1@dont-email.me>
 <17bc1de93bb4055f$981$3331982$802601b3@news.usenetexpress.com>
 <usr82n$19trd$4@solani.org> <ut4t4o$32464$1@dont-email.me>
 <65f600a1$0$8233$426a74cc@news.free.fr> <utcpgl$10gjc$1@dont-email.me>
 <65fe0bac$0$2988$426a74cc@news.free.fr> <utn78o$3pu1f$1@dont-email.me>
 <66000fa7$0$2559$426a74cc@news.free.fr>
 <mre10jh3901253ot6l78drtrvqumdvvt6g@4ax.com> <utuigi$1qkgv$1@dont-email.me>
 <utut5t$1trsr$1@dont-email.me> <utvhmj$2caii$1@dont-email.me>
 <uu1g93$2ue64$1@dont-email.me>

On 3/27/24 12:08 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> -hh wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:
>
>> On 3/26/24 12:29 PM, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>>
>>> I would prefer the desktop stay out of my way. That's why my Linux desktop has
>>> no icons or "start" menu (a right-click on the desktop brings up a menu; and
>>> each can be torn off so that it stays on the desktop.)
>>
>> Um...we've seen your "elegant" desktop before...
>                          ^ (damning with faint praise)
>>
>> <http://huntzinger.com/usenet/Chris_Ahlstrom-Facebook_Linux-desktop.jpg>
>
> Did I say it was "elegant"?

Well, you are implying that it is somehow superior.  Frankly, it breaks
UI usability rules which is why it is visually hard to navigate.

  How kind of you to preserve and remember my
> example of what can be done with fluxbox and compton. I will often open up a
> number of windows on my github app to create a screenshot showing multiple
> dialogs and editing windows at once.

I only kept it because it an example of a horrifically bad UI desktop.

> You missed capturing my demo of fluxbox tear-off menus back then
>
> You showed me mine. Now show me yours.  :-D

Sure. I've taken a screenshot, but it looks like one of my domains has a
login issue; will have to give IT a call in the morning to sort it out.

>>> Dude, you're trying to say that people cannot strongly prefer something not
>>> provided by the vendor?
>>
>> No.  What I'm saying is simply that no matter how loudly they try to
>> stomp their feet, their mere personal preference doesn't constitute
>> objective proof that the mainstream UI solution is allegedly as horrible
>> as they try to claim.
>
> It provides all the proof they need to avoid it. For me, I can't fscking stand
> using Windows, even with the help of Git Bash.

Since they can't quantify it, that's just all confirmation bias.

-hh