Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uu4adb$3mth9$2@dont-email.me>

From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: Baltimore Bridge
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:46:19 -0000 (UTC)

Adam H. Kerman <ahk@chinet.com> wrote:
>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>>On Thu, 28 Mar 2024 02:55:30 +0000, BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>>>Just saw on the news that Joe Biden has pledged that the government will
>>>"pay the entire cost" of rebuilding the Baltimore bridge.

>>>Huh? Shouldn't the shipping company and its insurance agency foot the bill?
>>>It's like he just can't wait for any opportunity to fuck the taxpayer.

>>>And when it's rebuilt, obviously it can't be renamed the Francis Scott
>>>Key Bridge. I mean, "old straight racist white guy", amirite? So what
>>>will its new name be?

>>>I submit the "Saint George Floyd of Fentanyl Memorial Bridge".

>>The federal government can act to get repairs started today while the
>>lawyers act to collect any money due from the company/insurance.

>The bridge won't be repaired. It'll be 5 to 7 years at least.

Here's an article from the Baltimore Sun. Turn off javascript to read.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/03/27/how-long-to-rebuild-key-bridge/

Ignore "rebuild" in the headline. No one is saying it can be rebuilt.
It's going to be replaced with something brand new. I'm sure the
piers will both be relocated closer to shore. Nothing will be saved from
the debris.

The replacement will have to take into account larger vessels and sea
level rise, so it's entire cost won't be charged to the collision.
They'll have to calculate the cost to replace it with like kind and the
difference between that and the new structure will be borne by
taxpayers. I don't they'll have to pay for years of reduced commerce.