Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uu5l7q$4i18$1@dont-email.me>

From: Arthur Lipscomb <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-03-27 (Wednesday)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 22:57:12 -0700

On 3/28/2024 2:50 PM, Dimensional Traveler wrote:
> The Twilight Zone S5E07 'The Old Man in the Cave' - DVR
> An old man in a cave offers guidance to survivors of a nuclear-war
> apocalypes, but their orderly world is shattered by the arrival of four
> soldiers.  (Comcast)

This is an hour long episode?  This episode doesn't require more than 15
minutes!

> [...]
> (IMDb)
> Radioactive Trivia:
> Based upon the short story "The Old Man" by Henry Slesar. Though it was
> copyrighted in 1962, the story went unpublished until 1980, when it
> appeared in the anthology Microcosmic Tales from Taplinger Pub. Co.
> Quotes:
> Narrator: [Opening Narration] What you're looking at is a legacy that
> man left to himself. A decade previous, he pushed his buttons and, a
> nightmarish moment later, woke up to find that he had set the clock back
> a thousand years. His engines, his medicines, his science were buried in
> a mass tomb, covered over by the biggest gravedigger of them all: a
> Bomb. And this is the Earth ten years later, a fragment of what was once
> a whole, a remnant of what was once a race. The year is 1974, and this
> is the Twilight Zone.
> Narrator: [Closing Narration] Mr. Goldsmith, survivor, an eye witness to
> man's imperfection, an observer of the very human trait of greed, and a
> chronicler of the last chapter - the one reading 'suicide.' Not a
> prediction of what is to be, just a projection of what could be. This
> has been the Twilight Zone.
>

> The Twilight Zone S5E08 'Uncle Simon' - DVR
> A wealthy old man makes life difficult for his greedy niece even after
> he dies.  (Comcast)
> Caregiver Barbara Polk receives a surprise after her uncle's death.  (IMDb)
>
> Trivia:
> Probe 7, Over and Out (1963), the next episode of The Twilight Zone
> (1959), would not air for two weeks. The broadcast of the following
> week's episode on November 22, 1963, which was to have been Night Call
> (1964), was canceled due to the assassination of U.S. President John F.
> Kennedy in Dallas, Texas that day.
> Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet (1956) is used in this episode.
> However, the dome portion of his head has been altered. This is one of
> many instalments to use props from "Forbidden Planet", since the series
> was frequently filmed at MGM, which kept the film props in use for many
> years. This also marks the last of Robby's three Twilight Zone
> appearances, having previously featured in "One for the Angels" and "The
> Brain Centre at Whipple's".
> The living room and entry hall sets were previously used in the fourth
> season episode Miniature (1963).
> At one point Barbara calls the robot "Frankenstein". Two decades
> earlier, Cedric Hardwicke had played Dr. Frankenstein in the Universal
> film The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942).
>
> Cast:
> Robby the Robot ... Robot (uncredited)
>

> The Twilight Zone S5E09 'Probe 7, Over & Out' - DVR
> An astronaut (Richard Basehart) learns was has killed his people.
> (Comcast)
> Colonel Adam Cook, stranded on a distant planet with no hope for rescue,
> meets a woman who is the sole survivor from another planet.  (IMDb)

I keep thinking Elizabeth Montgomery was in this one, but I know she was
in the other last two people on the planet episode.

> Trivia:
> This was the first episode of the series to air since Uncle Simon (1963)
> two weeks earlier. Night Call (1964) was to have been shown on November
> 22, 1963 but the broadcast was canceled due to the assassination of US
> President John F. Kennedy in Dallas, Texas that day. It was eventually
> shown on February 7, 1964.
> ROT'd spoiler: Juvyr bar zvtug pbapyhqr gung Pbbx geniryrq gur 4.3 yvtug
> lrnef sebz Rnegu gb Nycun Pragnhev, vg vf pyrne gung gur bccbfvgr gbbx
> cynpr. Pyhrf vapyhqr gur ynpx bs vafvtavn ba Pbbx'f havsbez naq
> fcnprpensg, gur ynpx bs fcrpvsvpf nobhg uvf ubzr cynarg, naq bs pbhefr
> gur vasbezngvba eryngrq va gur svany fprar.
>

> The Twilight Zone S5E10 'The 7th Is Made Up of Phantoms' - DVR
> Modern National Guardsmen maneuvering at Little Big Horn find ominous
> signs of an impending Indian attack.  (Comcast)
> On June 25, 1964, three Army National Guard soldiers on maneuvers near
> the Little Big Horn battle site find themselves unwittingly involved in
> Custer's Last Stand.  (IMDb)
>
> Trivia:
> The tank used is an M3A3 Stuart light tank.
>
> Plot Hole:
> The three National Guardsmen are supposed to be caught in a time warp
> sending them back from 1963 to 1876. However, they are still able to
> communicate with the base commander via radio and the search party that
> was sent out finds the tank that they left behind, very much in the
> present.
> Another plot hole, not from IMDb.  The Little Bighorn battlefield was
> made a U.S. National Cemetery on January 29, 1879, transferred to the
> Parks Service on July 1, 1940 and predesignated Custer Battlefield
> National Monument on March 22, 1946.  There wouldn't be Army training
> maneuvers on a National Monument.

I don't remember this one.  But sounds like they used this as a template
when they did the Alamo episode of "Amazing Stories."