Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uu6itq$b577$10@dont-email.me>

From: Joel <joelcrump@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: "The first Copilot+ PC has been tested and it destroys the MacBook"
Date: Fri, 24 May 2024 14:28:16 -0400

Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:
>On May 24, 2024 at 12:47:14?PM EDT, "Joel" <joelcrump@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tyrone <none@none.none> wrote:

>>> If that's all they have then again, Apple has nothing to worry about. Macs
>>> have always been "overpriced and underpowered", yet Macs are now 20% of the
>>> market and Windows is down to 70%. I remember when it was 4% Macs and 95%
>>> Windows.
>>
>> I think the gains Apple has made in the desktop/laptop market are what
>> we've always wanted to see Linux do, but it can't because normal
>> people barely know what it is.  macOS, though, is commercial, and
>> sleeker than Winbloat, so it offers an alternative people are aware
>> of.  I would never again buy a Mac, but I like that they offer
>> something to drive M$ toward a better paradigm, competition works.
>> Linux remains my style, as a computer nerd, but macOS offers a
>> similarly functional OS for more mainstream people.
>
>Normal people don't even know what an "Operating System" is. Nor do they
>want/need to know.  All they know is Apple laptops look different from
>Dell/Lenovo/HP/whoever laptops.
>
>The only thing that prevents Linux from becoming useful for mainstream users
>is that the people writing it are not really interested in doing that.  Linux
>is written by computer geeks for computer geeks. Thus it appeals to a small
>subset of computer users. Nothing wrong with that. It is what it is.
>
>It would take a company to take Linux, make it pretty AND easy to use with
>lots of standard apps AND well supported AND pre-installed on computers.
>
>Nevermind, Apple already did that.  But they used Unix instead.  Same idea.

I pretty much agree.  Apple offers one a commercial Unix-based
platform, Microsoft simply doesn't have the sleekness of that.  WSL 2
isn't the answer, either.  For a typical person, wanting a device to
perform, in an environment that is functional like Linux, but "easy to
use", macOS is a fairly strong competitor.

--
Joel W. Crump

Amendment XIV
Section 1.

[...] No state shall make or enforce any law which shall
abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the
United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal
protection of the laws.

Dobbs rewrites this, it is invalid precedent.  States are
liable for denying needed abortions, e.g. TX.