Article <uu72i2$3hru4$3@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uu72i2$3hru4$3@dont-email.me>

From: Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Commuter innovation
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 14:50:42 -0400

On 3/29/2024 1:03 PM, sms wrote:
> On 3/27/2024 11:33 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> I don't know that I've ever heard anyone claim street sweeping is a
>> cure for anything. Certainly diligent and frequent use is quite
>> helpful, but "cure"?
>
> <snip>
>
>> I don't think a street sweeper would have been very effective on
>> either of those.
>
> Street sweeping protected bike lanes requires a narrow sweeper/vacuum,
> which are available.
>
> Frank is philosophically opposed to bike lanes so he will fabricate
> whatever narratives are necessary to support his philosophy ─ like our
> 45th U.S. president.
>
> Protected bike lanes with a concrete divider are best because trash in
> the traffic lane ends up mostly against the divider rather than ending
> up in the bike lane.

I understood us to be talking about unprotected bike lanes, such as in
the picture he showed, and that the discussion of street sweeping wasn't
qualified by protected lanes or smaller street sweeping vehicles.

I personally have had very little experience in protected lanes, but
most of the towns around here have widened shoulders marked as bike
lanes and marked-off sensor areas for trigger traffic lights (which
rarely actually work). It's my experience that these widened shoulders
designated as bike lanes are swept with the same frequency as the roads
in general as there is no physical barrier.
--
Add xx to reply