Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uu78ep$gdkg$2@dont-email.me>

From: Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund <klauskvik@hotmail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: +48 precharge
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 21:31:21 +0100

On 29-03-2024 15:33, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Mar 2024 11:54:02 +0100, Klaus Vestergaard Kragelund
> <klauskvik@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 24-03-2024 23:16, John Larkin wrote:

>>> The retriggerable one-shot is 1 microsecond, and the FPGA (once it's
>>> alive and well) will clock it at 2 MHz. No clock, no hard +48.
>>>
>>> We'll have seconds available to charge the filter caps, before we make
>>> the I'M_OK signal to enable stuff. It a Linux system!
>>>

>> The FPGA will have a defined state during startup, and your gatedrivers
>> have UVLO, so during boot the FPGAs are defined as high-z, and you use a
>> pull-down resistor to pull the outputs low during boot. Normally you
>> would use a delay for the VDD for the gatedrivers, so both ramping VCC
>> and controlled VDD start makes sure there are no conflict.
>>
>> I am currently working on a 3MW converter. We are controlling it
>> directly from a FPGA, like described above.
>>
>> When I worked at Vestas doing 6MW wind turbine, we did it the same way.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Klaus
>
> We have blown up fets and drivers on this product, which is
> embarassing, so we're doing everything reasonable to stop that.
>
> We have been using LTC4444 gate drivers, which are one possible
> villain. We're switching to the UCC27712 next rev. But it sure sounds
> prudent to apply +48 to the bridges last thing in the startup
> sequence, as opposed to a kilowatt of +48 first thing at powerup...
> before even the logic supplies are up. About 15 important things
> happen between powerup an steady-state operation, and there could be
> lots of gotchas lurking.
>
> I've thought about really high-power electronics, like the ends of a
> megavolt DC transmission line. That's scary. Failures must be
> spectaular. And expensive.
>
> I prefer products that won't break your foot if you drop one.

This app note from Lattice describes the state of the pins during startup:

https://www.latticesemi.com/~/media/8DFD1009E98E42C9B53C4BADE6D8B3E5.ashx

It exits UVLO at 2.5V, so you just need to have the UVLO of the
gatedriver to be higher than that.

But, yes, your idea to apply the 48V last is a good idea. In a turbine
that is really not an option.

The scary stuff about 1000V/2000A is that an error occurs, busbar can
spray molten copper in all directions, and your literally toast. Safety
is really important on high power stuff.

UCC27712 is a good choice, the Texas/Unitrode guys knows how to make
good gatedrivers :-)