Article <uu7h74$ibt3$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uu7h74$ibt3$1@dont-email.me>

From: -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: This FOSS Thang :-)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 19:00:52 -0400

On 3/28/24 4:22 PM, Joel wrote:
> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> -hh wrote:
>>
>>> So much for fanboy innuendo that these independent developers are better
>>> because they don't just blindly copy what the professionals do.
>>
>> So much for you not being an idiot.  Ubuntu didn't "blindly" do
>> anything, they just made the wrong choice for their default UI.  You
>> could still choose to run a classic UI.  None of the other distros,
>> AFAIK, followed that lead at all.
>>
>> Choice.  What you don't get from Microshaft and crApple.
>

> Exactly, I happen to think M$'s GUI is logical, and voila, Mint
> Cinnamon gives me essentially the same thing.  Choice.  Others want
> something else.  Also, choice.  It's beautiful.

This "choice" bit by chrisv is a Red Herring diversion attempt, because
my point wasn't about choice at all:  it was about how some folks
foolishly try to make claims without any objective support.

Here, their claim was that they found that XYZ personally gives them a
warm fuzzy, but that is not objective or generalizable to everyone else.

>> 'What -hh said about Photoshop - expensive, waste, Gimp does the same
>> for free - is exactly the written position of most if not all
>> "advocates" on cola.'  -  DumFSck, lying shamelessly
>

> I wouldn't assert that GIMP is in every respect equal to Photoshop,

I'd also like to see the original statement made, because the above
kinda looks like a misquote or misstatement:  I've never claimed that
Adobe Photoshop was an expensive waste.  Sure, its expensive and it is
overkill for a lot of people (usually the ones who complain about its
cost), but it has been the industry's premier digital graphics tool for
the better part of two decades.

> but I can say that I was not especially impressed with Photoshop, I
> still had months left on my year of it when I deleted Win11, and
> couldn't give a fuck less.  GIMP all the way, now.

 From a learning curve standpoint, GIMP's fewer options make it shorter
and thus easier & faster to grasp.  For those who don't need anything
more than the 80% solution, GIMP is just that:  the 80% solution.

-hh