Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uuaiha$1fi9l$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Is English just badly pronounced French?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 02:41:46 -0000 (UTC)

>I apologize in advance to Americans who are inevitably aggrieved by all
>things French just on principle but this video actually makes a pretty
>good case for saying that English is badly-pronounced French to a large
>extent.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUL29y0vJ8Q [18 minutes]

>When he explains all the English words that are borrowed from French
>with only slight spelling and pronunciation changes, you may well be
>persuaded by his argument.

Of course it is. The Norman invasion turned English into the
international language that it is, with about 45% words with Latin
roots. Thereafter, English borrowed any word from any language it
needed. Didn't make the spelling work too good.

In the nineteenth century, French scholars threw out their loan words
and purified the language, making it useless as an international
language.