Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uub20d$1in89$1@dont-email.me>

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Is English just badly pronounced French?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:05:50 +1300

On 2024-03-31 05:15:53 +0000, shawn said:
> On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 18:03:50 +1300, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
> wrote:

>>> I wondered why the Brits call cookies 'biscuits'. Then I realized it
>>> comes from the French word for cookies 'bicotte'. They also call
>>> eggplants 'aubergines' and zucchini 'corgettes'. There's probably
>>> dozens of other words I can't recall now.
>>
>> The English language originates from a melding of many sources with
>> words being 'borrowed' from other languages, including French, German,
>> Gaelic, Celtic, etc.   Some words have altered over time, but some
>> words (e.g. rendezvous) have stayed the same as the original.
>>
>> "American English" is a sub-version that has its own unique spellings
>> and meanings for words. Partly because (despite hating the British
>> rule) they have stubbornly stuck to out-dated versions of words, as
>> well as out-dated measurement systems, that the original Pilgrims
>> brought with them rather than staying contemporary with *real* English.
>
> Though my understanding is because of the spellings and words that we
> have continued to use in the USA, our form of English is closer to the
> English of Shakespeare than that being used in England today.

Yep, that's what I said: "oudated".  :-p

New words have of course had to be made up for things that didn't exist
back then, which is another reason there are different words for the
same things in *real* English and "American English", and to a lesser
extent "Australian English" or Canadian English", etc.).