Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uuc8mg$1u550$1@dont-email.me>

From: Dimiter_Popoff <dp@tgi-sci.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: webcam viewer?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 21:06:07 +0300

On 3/31/2024 18:59, Don Y wrote:
> On 3/31/2024 6:49 AM, Dimiter_Popoff wrote:
>> Oh that's easy. Because they have been piling shit over heaps
>> of shit for decades now.
>
> It's not that they are "piling it"; rather, that they don't understand
> the stuff they are piling onto or piling on!
>
> How many fools think "Oh, we'll just run Linux!" and base their entire
> product on a piece of software that, I suspect, NO ONE in their
> organization has the skillset to understand?
>
> With hardware components, you understand their limitations and
> see all of their interconnections (on a sheet of paper).
> You know what operating limits exist on its use and can verify
> that it's use in a particular application (circuit) will
> not subject it to stresses outside of those limits.
>
> ["Here are some electronic components that APPEAR to be able
> to provide this particular functionality.  Please design a product
> around them with incomplete knowledge of how they work"]
>
> That's not possible with software.  Especially for software that
> you inherit/embrace without having an intimate understanding of
> it's design, goals, technology, etc.  Do you know what the first
> instruction executed after reset is -- in the *source* code?
> Or, even the basic order that modules are invoked to bring the
> system up?
>
> Notice how many folks will add a network stack to a device...
> and not even understand the protocols that they will be using
> (nor their expectations, vulnerabilities, etc.).  Or, glob
> some layer of "security" onto a design ("Let's require a password
> to access this functionality!") without considering how it can be
> subverted.
>
> ["I put a note on my front door saying 'Keep Out'.  Surely that should
> be sufficient to prevent any theft!?"]
>
> And, with the legions of "programmers" who are just trying to
> get something to APPEAR to work, there isn't even a real desire
> to ACQUIRE any of this understanding.  Who can blame them?  Will
> they be rewarded for producing a robust product ("But, that's
> your JOB!  Why should we reward you for doing it?!") or
> penalized for making a shitty one?  Is there even anyone in
> the organization who has the skills to be able to make such
> an assessment??

Well these and other details amount to what I keep on saying about
shit and piles of it. Look at the sheer amount of memory they *waste*.
I don't know what they do - as you know I live on another "planet" for
software - but I strongly suspect they keep on putting everything on
the stack which ends up full of what is effectively waste as most of
it gets accessed once in minutes of not days. The thought of what
the mass software looks like  - be it MS or FOSS - just makes me
sick, I am glad I went my own way all these decades ago. Cost me
several fortunes I guess but people have spent many times that
and don't have a fraction of what I have - which I will likely carry
into the grave, so what.