Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uucn86$21mor$1@dont-email.me>

From: Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Is English just badly pronounced French?
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 11:14:30 +1300

On 2024-03-31 18:40:37 +0000, suzeeq said:
> On 3/31/2024 10:56 AM, Rhino wrote:
>> On Sun, 31 Mar 2024 06:35:33 -0700
>> suzeeq <suzee@imbris.com> wrote:

>>> While GB officially went metric, many people still use the Imperial
>>> measurements, at least for linear measures, not so much for weight.
>>
>> The Brits weigh themselves in "stones" not pounds or kilograms. (I
>> believe a stone is 14 pounds.) These stones are definitely not metric
>> but I'm not sure they can truly be called Imperial either since they
>> aren't used anywhere outside the UK, as far as I know.
>
> Yeah, I don't know where stone comes from. I was thinking smaller, like
> pounds and ounces.

    "Originally any good-sized rock chosen as a local standard,
     the stone came to be widely used as a unit of weight in
     trade, its value fluctuating with the commodity and region.
     In the 14th century England's exportation of raw wool to
     Florence necessitated a fixed standard."

    "Americans do not use the stone unit of weight. The stone
     was not a single standard at the time of American
     independence and, by the time it finally became a single
     standard, they had no need of it."