Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uuct9a$22v32$1@dont-email.me>

From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: [OT] Is English just badly pronounced French?
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 23:57:31 -0000 (UTC)

Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>. . .

>True, but then things like a "gallon" still differ because the UK
>gallon is based on the decimal system while the US gallon stayed with
>the old system.

You need to explain that.

The only thing "decimal" about the Imperial gallon, a liquid measure, is
that it's the volume of 10 pounds of water at room temperature. This was
defined in law in 1824.

It's 4.54609 liters.

In the 18th century, Imperial gallons, like stones, were based on
commodities.

The US fluid gallon was the wine gallon, 3.785 liters.

The ale gallon, 4.622 liters, is only slightly larger than the Imperial
gallon.

Why did one country choose the wine gallon and the other the ale gallon?
Did someone really take a survey to determine which gallon was used to
measure more commodities? I've never read about this.

The corn gallon, 4.405 liters, became the US dry gallon.