Article <uud6dp$28gh5$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uud6dp$28gh5$1@dont-email.me>

From: Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: bike light optics
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:33:28 -0400

On 3/31/2024 6:56 PM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 3/31/2024 5:11 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:
>> sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

>>> If you ride in the middle of the traffic lane, you're correct. If you
>>> "stay to the right," whether on the shoulder or in a painted or
>>> protected bike lane, the SUV is not going to be there (at least they're
>>> not supposed to be there).
>>>
>>> "Taking the lane" sounds good in theory, but realistically, most
>>> cyclists stay to the right.
>>>

>> Do you not have buses? Most residential streets in London and even
>> some of
>> the bigger cities will have large bus networks which use residential
>> streets as well that’s where the people are, And with London are double
>> deckers in most cases. Are places where the bus has to driver further out
>> but they are uncommon enough to require signs warning buses!
>>
>> Roger Merriman
>>

> I can't speak to Santa Clara or London specifically, but most places the
> bus routes are on arterials while savvy cyclists are a block over on a
> less busy parallel street

True, but tall vehicles like Amazon delivery vans, Ford Transits and
similar vans, pickups towing trailers, garbage trucks etc. are on all
streets at least occasionally. If there were such low branches over the
roadway those vehicles would get damaged and/or the owners would
complain to the city.

On roads, the problem is imaginary. On every bike trail I've seen, the
problem has been imaginary, other than one incident when a storm tipped
over a tree.

And even then, I saw that hazard in plenty of time with my Busch &
Mueller headlight with a properly cut off beam. Those who imagine zero
light above the cutoff are also imagining things.

Unlike Tom Kunich, Mr. Scharf knows how to post links to photos. If the
problem were real and common, he'd have given evidence by now.

--
- Frank Krygowski