Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uudvbp$2dn4t$1@dont-email.me>

From: Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: webcam viewer?
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 11:40:38 +0200

On 4/1/24 04:19, Don Y wrote:
[...]

> Common sense -- do you think a list of files in a
> directory is produced by reading every file in its entirety in order
> to be able to report their individual sizes??

On Linux, when I do something in a directory that contains a
mountpoint to a remote file system, it often slows to a crawl.
I suspect it tries to stat() every damn remote file, despite
doing nothing useful with the data. GUI 'open' or 'save' dialogs
are the worst offenders. I have to be careful not to stray into
such directories using GUI programs. This is a nuisance.

A traditonal command shell does not usually misbehave in that
way, fortunately.

Jeroen Belleman