Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uuefd1$2havl$1@dont-email.me>

From: Gary McGath <garym@mcgath.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: MT VOID, 03/29/24 -- Vol. 42, No. 39, Whole Number 2321
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 10:12:48 -0400

On 3/31/24 11:36 AM, Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:
> Is TCM having a theme of blackface and racial stereotypes this
> month?   We have:
>
> THE TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON (1956): A combination of
> progressiveness (interracial romance) on one hand, and racial
> stereotypying and yellowface (Marlon Brando as a Japanese) on the
> other.

It annoys me whenever I see the term "blackface" used in a trivial way.
Blackface was a device used by the minstrel shows of the 19th century.
It isn't simply dark makeup, but _caricature_. You can see it, for
example, in the final scene of the 1927 _The Jazz Singer_. In the
minstrel shows, it was part of a shtick which made black people objects
of ridicule. "Coon songs," sung in fake dialect, generally went along
with it. Even black performers sometimes had to wear that makeup, which
helps to show that it wasn't just to make the actors look like black
people.

Using terms like "blackface," "yellowface," etc. for makeup that simply
alters a performer's skin tone trivializes what it was.

--
Gary McGath    http://www.mcgath.com