Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uueugd$2ksci$1@dont-email.me>

From: Jeroen Belleman <jeroen@nospam.please>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: webcam viewer?
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 20:32:12 +0200

On 4/1/24 17:44, Don Y wrote:
> On 4/1/2024 2:40 AM, Jeroen Belleman wrote:
>> On 4/1/24 04:19, Don Y wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> Common sense -- do you think a list of files in a
>>> directory is produced by reading every file in its entirety in order
>>> to be able to report their individual sizes??
>>
>> On Linux, when I do something in a directory that contains a
>> mountpoint to a remote file system, it often slows to a crawl.
>
> You are *on* an NFS client?  (presumably running Linux?)
> And, is there a remote file system ACTUALLY mounted?
>
> The directory *contains* a mountpoint?  Or, *is* a mountpoint?
> I.e., in the former case, only the mountpoint references an exported
> filesystem.  In the latter, everything in the directory is external.

It's not NFS. The problem manifests itself in both openafs and sshfs.
It's the GUI file dialogs that ask for far more information than they
really need. It's vexing, because those same dialogs also tend to hide
information that I *do* need. (Where did it put my files??)

As I said, I avoid directories with active mount points in them when
using GUI programs. It's still annoying, because it forces me to put
mount points in subdirectories, which I would not have needed to do if
these dialogs had been better designed.

Jeroen Belleman