Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uug1ct$306oq$3@dont-email.me>

From: Rockinghorse Winner <Rockinghorse@amgen.com>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Gentoo Emerge Repot March 30
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 04:26:06 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-03-30, Diego Garcia <dg@chaos.rocks> opined as follows:
> Today, my fantastic Gentoo system automagically downloaded, configured,
> compiled, and installed, all according to my strict specifications, the following
> packages.
>
> Note that xv-utils, a downgrade, is at the top of the list.  I don't need it because
> I don't use that junk systemd, but I decided to accept it nonetheless.
>
> Gentoo never forces anything.  _I_ am the one that makes the decisions for
> _MY_ system.
>
> Don't you wish that you could do the same?
>
> Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!
>
> xv-utils
> xorg-proto
> trove-classifiers
> dev-python/hatchling
> dev-python/lxml
> elt-patches
> app-arch/zstd
> coreutils
> dev-build/libtool
> libpciaccess
> compose-tables
> dev-debug/strace
> libX11
> net-misc/curl
> libxkbcommon
> dev-util/maturin
> dev-ruby/reline
> dev-libs/libgit2
> cargo-c
> net-libs/libproxy
> libavif
> qtcore
> qtnetwork
> qtxml
> qtconcurrent
> linguist-tools
> '=openjdk-bin-8.402_p06'
> geeqie
> openrc
> app-portage/eix
> libXmu
> mesa
> qtgui
> '=qtbase-6.6.3'
> libva
> gptfdisk
> qtwidgets
> '=qtshadertools-6.6.3'
> qtmultimedia
> '=qtsvg-6.6.3'
> '=qtdeclarative-6.6.3'
> qtopengl
> qtprintsupport
> qtsvg
> '=qtquicktimeline-6.6.3'
> libreoffice-l10n
> libreoffice
>
> Whew!  This was a BIG update.  The whole QT system plus LibreOffice.

I ran gentoo for years. I got tired of replacing hdd's and running my cpu
fan at full for hours at a time. Still a great system with many benefits.
But there's something to be said for the simple maintenance of basic linux.

--
'Many have sought in vain to tell joyously of the Most Joyous. Now at last It declares
Itself to me, now in this misery.'    - Holderlin