Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uugcco$32hhs$6@dont-email.me>

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@nz.invalid>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Python When There Is Perl?
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 07:33:44 -0000 (UTC)
	<l68nhdFoi1bU4@mid.individual.net> <utnpao$1o32m$6@solani.org>
	<l6a00fFtmmgU4@mid.individual.net> <utqa6m$klt3$1@dont-email.me>
	<l6cb59Fal3tU2@mid.individual.net> <utt23i$1qnhe$1@solani.org>
	<utt3mu$1qnhe$2@solani.org> <uttbjl$1qr2p$1@solani.org>

On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 21:23:48 -0500, Physfitfreak wrote:

> But agriculture, as creator of math, is at the least 7 thousand years
> old!...

Agriculture on its own doesn’t need much maths. Mediaeval Europeans were
able to manage their farms with just Roman numerals, after all.

What complicated things in Mesopotamia and Egypt was the periodic
flooding. There needed to be a way of keeping records of which farm lots
belonged to whom and where their boundaries were, even after all the
markers had been washed away. That took something called .. trigonometry.

> Today's geographical spread of language comes to help a bit. Anything
> non-Semitic that we speak today in, has come from India, from Sanskrit.

Semitic languages are part of the Indo-European family, too.

> The mother of it all. Hindu ...

Maybe you mean “Hindi”? That’s the language; “Hindu” is a religious
persuasion.