Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uuh8ls$397h9$7@dont-email.me>

From: Ubiquitous <weberm@polaris.net>
Newsgroups: rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: NPC classes
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 11:36:27 -0400

gmkeros@gmail.com wrote:

>I recently was rethinking the use of NPC classes in my (mostly
>OSR-style) games. Previously I had dismissed them as unsuccessful
>attempts at making overpowered PC classes. But reading them "as written"
>they make much more sense as human boss monsters in a lot of cases.
>
>I specifically mean stuff like e.g. Lew Pulsipher's Necromancer class,
>which is a terrible class for players (it demands human sacrifices of
>increasing specificity to advance), but does actually make more sense
>when used as a maybe recurring human antagonist who keeps getting
>stronger as over the course of a PCs career.
>
>I also looked at the Witch class from Dragon magazine but find that one
>oddly lacking.
>
>What are your preferred NPC classes, if any?

I always liked the Death Master from Dragon Magazine. It was a bit
overpowered for a PC, plus there was that inevitable march towards Chaotic
Evil alignment,  but I remember having fun making it a recurring NPC who
eventually became a foe.

Now that I mention it, I did play one as a character in a Munchkin Realms
campaign and it got interesting when he became CE during the Time of
Troubles.

--
Let's go Brandon!