Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uuj77i$3r4ca$1@dont-email.me>

From: Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Raspberry Pi5 versus other cheap Intel based boxes for general
 computing
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 10:24:00 +0100

On 03/04/2024 06:21, Jan Panteltje wrote:

> What somone learned when he replaced a cheap Pi 5 PC with a no-name Amazon mini desktop
>   https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/what-i-learned-when-i-replaced-my-cheap-pi-5-pc-with-a-no-name-amazon-mini-desktop/
>
> All that said, I post this from a Pi4 8GB, it is sometimes really slow,
> but I like and use the GPIO port.

I was quite surprised how sprightly my Pi 5 was. I opted for 8GB more
expensive entirely passive cooling so that it can be used as an
entertainment streaming system when not being used for other things.
(whole thing cost about £120 and is the size of a bar of soap)

In part I got it for the portability and free Mathematica license that
comes with it. I haven't found the Debian environment too tiresome
despite being a Windows user with a smidgeon of Ubuntu and Android.

I reckon its performance single tasking isn't far off the venerable
i7-3770 from a decade or so back (and still pretty capable today).

I was tempted by an N100 based toy PC at Xmas but managed to resist.

--
Martin Brown