Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uuktj3$h41$1@reader1.panix.com>

From: "Keith F. Lynch" <kfl@KeithLynch.net>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom,rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: Re: Babel
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 00:51:47 -0000 (UTC)

Jeff Urs <jeff.urs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gary McGath <garym@mcgath.com> wrote:
>> Confiscating the major weapons is the real problem.  Picking up
>> nuclear weapons and carrying them off would cause all kinds of
>> international and logistical issues, and someone might decide to
>> launch them rather than give them up.  They're probably already
>> poorly maintained and unreliable, but that could just mean that
>> instead of blowing up their intended target, they'll blow up
>> somebody else.

> In all the history of the Thing, only Bilbo -- I mean, Ukraine --
> has voluntarily given it up, and that took all our help...

And I'll bet they regret giving them up.  What a great lesson for
other nuclear powers who are being urged to give them up.

Also, if I was Bilbo I would have kept the One Ring.  But then I've
always been a packrat.  And a ring takes up much less space than a
bunch of nuclear weapons and their launchers.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/