Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uulggm$4bng$1@solani.org>

From: Jan Panteltje <alien@comet.invalid>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Raspberry Pi5 versus other cheap Intel based boxes for general computing
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2024 06:14:45 GMT

On a sunny day (Wed, 03 Apr 2024 11:58:09) it happened
Wanderer<dont@emailme.com> wrote in <274993@dontemail.com>:

>On 03/04/2024 06:21, Jan Panteltje wrote:
>>
>> What somone learned when he replaced a cheap Pi 5 PC with a no-name Amazon mini desktop
>>   https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/what-i-learned-when-i-replaced-my-cheap-pi-5-pc-with-a-no-name-amazon-mini-desktop/
>>
>> All that said, I post this from a Pi4 8GB, it is sometimes really slow,
>> but I like and use the GPIO port.
>

>I'm interested in putting the internet on a separate computer and switching the monitor, keyboard and mouse with a switch box.
>How well would it work for something like that? How well does it handle the internet?

I have an 'Eminent' 5 channel HDMI switch to switch between
this Pi4 8 GB (connected to the internet now)
the Pi4 4 GB (that is among other things recording security cams and playing music),
the Chinese security box (4 cams on it),
and the older raspi that runs as server for some stuff I wrote, collects data
on weather and temperature, humidity, radiation.
2 wireless keyboards on the table, one for the Pi4 8 GB (I use now to post this)
and one for the PI4 4 GB.
Via the second one I can access the server Pi via ssh.
I have a wireless small keyboard the size of a TV remote that is also listened
to by the Pi4 4 Gb, so I can set audio volume for example
or change music all remotely (listened to by a script I wrote),
but I can get full terminal access too, but that is dangerous when you cannot see what happens
when away from the monitor.
That script has limited choices... is basically a bash script running in a terminal.
There is more to it..
No problems at all so far...