Article <uulnf2$hg6h$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uulnf2$hg6h$1@dont-email.me>

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.misc
Subject: Re: Command Languages Versus Programming Languages
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2024 08:13:22 -0000 (UTC)
	<20240329084454.0000090f@gmail.com> <uu6om5$cmv8$1@dont-email.me>
	<20240329101248.556@kylheku.com> <uu6t9h$dq4d$1@dont-email.me>
	<20240329104716.777@kylheku.com> <uu8p02$uebm$1@dont-email.me>
	<20240330112105.553@kylheku.com> <uudrfg$2cskm$1@dont-email.me>
	<87r0fp8lab.fsf@tudado.org> <uuehdj$2hshe$1@dont-email.me>
	<87wmpg7gpg.fsf@tudado.org>
	<LISP-20240402085115@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
	<LISP-20240402091729@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
	<wrap-20240402092558@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
	<uui7hf$3gona$1@dont-email.me> <uuj1o5$3pvnq$1@dont-email.me>
	<87plv6jv1i.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
 <wwv5xwyifq8.fsf@LkoBDZeT.terraraq.uk>

On Wed, 03 Apr 2024 17:16:31 +0100
Richard Kettlewell <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> writes:
>> David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> writes:
>>>
>>> That's probably the reason almost no one uses it.  That post is the
>>> first time I have ever seen conditional expressions outside of a brief
>>> mention in a tutorial on Python conditionals showing how to write
>>> normal conditionals in the language.  I think Python stole this one
>>> from Perl.
>>
>> No, Perl's conditional expressions use the same syntax as C's.
>>
>> As for whether Python's conditional expression syntax, it's not clear
>> that (cond ? expr1 : expr2) is better or worse than (expr1 if cond else
>> expr2) (unless you happen to be familiar with one of them).
>
>I’ve been familiar with both for years and I think the Python version is
>awful; in particular the ordering is a bizarre choice. The PEP where
>they worked out the design acknowledges this but then they went ahead
>and did it anyway...

I believe its known as being different for the sake of being different which
is closely related to change for changes sake. Its the reason screwed up the
WIndows GUI - a new generation of devs had to prove their could be different
to the previous one regardless of how badly their new version sucked. Or in
more general cases - we've all seen new managers come in and change processes
just to prove they were doing something.