Article <uup9ad$1fo65$1@dont-email.me>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<uup9ad$1fo65$1@dont-email.me>

From: sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: bike light optics
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2024 09:36:27 -0700

On 4/4/2024 4:16 PM, Roger Merriman wrote:

<snip>

> The lamps as far as I can see are relatively speaking inexpensive, at least
> compared roughly to batteries powered units, the expensive bit would seem
> to be a Dynamo hub and wheel even if your building and installation
> yourself, which is probably a technical hurdle beyond most.
>
> I’m really not a good fit for such lights, mainly that I want lights with
> more power with the MTB/Gravel bike can get at least one dynamo lights with
> a off road beam shaped but even so with a 3w limit it’s power output is
> lacking for that purpose ie 800 lumens at 17mph+ my light kicks out at
> least double that with potentially up to 3 times that, as it uses how fast
> how much the bars are moving to gauge the light needed.

I have dynamo wheels on some bikes, a Dahon folder, my road bike, and
one other. These are adequate for DRLs, but of course for night riding,
even the higher-end dymano light I have is not sufficient on unlit roads
or MUPs, and being from Europe there is no flash mode.

What would be nice is a higher-end battery powered light that could be
charged with a dynamo, and operate at lower power directly from the
dynamo, but there is no such animal. A dynamo to USB-C PD adapter would
be perfect but all the dynamo USB commercial products are to 5VDC only.

--
“If you are not an expert on a subject, then your opinions about it
really do matter less than the opinions of experts. It's not